Friday, September 21, 2007

Reverse Psycho

Hey guys, it's Amy Z.
Ok, so this is my fourth effort (no joke) trying to post. Ok, so with the Sprite commercials, the company made fun of advertising in order to create effective advertising. Does this technique work? Does seeing our ideas and thoughts on screen make us sway towards one side or company because we feel like they understand what we are thinking? The students in the video were pretty upset when they found out what Sprite was up to. I am so used to commercials now, as Ben said earlier this week, that I don't even care what they put in them. Some people watch the Superbowl just for the commercials (kind of crazy).

Anyway, I was thinking about student government elections and how a student's posters last year relate to the Sprite commercials and how they used reverse psychology. His posters said things like "I'm just doing this for college applications!" and last year it made me wonder if it would be effective enough to persuade the student body to vote for him. I thought it was kind of crazy, but we know that some people do participate in clubs just for college. He was getting into the minds of the student body, but I think he was too open with the opinions of others. His approach was interesting, since most people assume that the candidates do it for college (no one in my homeroom knows what they actually do in student gov). Is reverse psychology really an effective method in most cases, or does it begin to peeve people once they figure out the true intentions behind the words? Do we have to be constantly exposed to this reverse method in order for it to be effective (the posters were probably up for only a couple of days)?

1 comment:

Ian B said...

Reverse psychology is fascinating, and to answer your question, I do believe that it is an effective method of advertising. Yes, I too remember the posters last year. While I was at first annoyed by them, I found them both funny and appealing after a day or two. Most of the other posters utilized a glittering generality approach, saying that they would 'Do things right' or 'Get the job done' (I don't remember exactly what they said). But since the posters originally discussed were so direct and frank, it was refreshing to see them in the hallways. After all, not to upset anyone, it seems like the student government doesn't do very much. Yes, we vote for them and they plan Prom (I think...?), but aren't most of them running so they can look better for colleges? I think it's the 'Student Association' club that does a lot of the work.

School politics are no different than general politics (at least in this country). As we have discussed in class, politicians don't often say anything in their speeches, and watching political debates is basically a waste of time (though it does have some entertainment factor). Reverse psychology is then (for me) a very effective method. Think of the Comcast commercials. They have the turtle couple (The "Slowskys") who talk about Comcast being too fast for them. The audience remembers the company and the brand. But I'm not sure where reverse psychology begins to peeve people (as Amy said).