Monday, November 12, 2007

Hey, it's Amy.
I was thinking about our "traitor hunt" tomorrow. I think it relates really well to the Salem witch trials. We're not experiencing mass hysteria or anything, but like the citizens in Salem, we all want to find the witch. We know that there's a witch out there somewhere and we just have to see who doesn't fit in. However, if someone forgets one of the laws, the rest of us will most likely become suspicious. It's a competition to see if we can pick the witch out among the "pupils" and it's better to be safe than sorry. We don't have the same motivation as seen throughout history as we are not concerned about our protection or the safety of the nation against intruders, but in the end we want to accomplish similar goals.

2 comments:

L Lazarow said...

I agree with Amy - we're all looking for someone to blame by seeing who doesn't fit in. However, the real "witches" in society would try to hide their witchly behavior and act like the rest of society. For example, during the McCarthyism era of the 1950's, the Communists who were actually working against the U.S. may not have been suspected because they didn't exhibit any of the expected behavior. They were successful at fitting in because that was their goal.

In our class's witch hunt so far, I think I know who the witch is, but I could be wrong. I've been looking for the person that exhibits the most witchly characteristics, but I haven't really thought about the fact that the witch might try NOT to exhibit those traits, to throw the rest of us off.

We might be looking for something that isn't there.

L Lazarow said...

^ Sorry guys, I forgot my name.
-Jasmine