Monday, January 28, 2008

Thomas Paine

Hey guys, it's Allison.

Thomas Paine's work, The American Crisis inspired the early colonists during their long struggle with the British. In the brief biography of Paine presented before the reading, we learn that he attacked Christian doctrines and the Bible in his work, The Age of Reason; and that he was a Deist. Such information did not strike me as unusual until I read his work, The American Crisis. Within the work, there are countless references to religion. These references weren't surprising seeing as Paine was a Deist, and therefore, was somewhat religious.

Two of Paine's religious references, however, did strike me as unusual based on my knowledge of his religious beliefs. When Paine described how the English army was forced to retreat by men under the leadership of a woman, he made a reference to the biblical story about Joan of Arc. Normally, such a reference wouldn't be peculiar; however, seeing as how Since Paine attacked the Bible in one of his writings, I found this reference ironic. Why would he quote the Bible in his own work and then go on to attack it?

The second reference that caught me off guard was made when Paine argued that America wouldn't be happy until she was free of her mother country. It was at this time that Paine said "I am as confident .. that God governs the world." This statement blew me away. If Thomas Paine was a Deist, then he would believe that God was the "watchmaker" that created the universe but left it to "tick" on its own. If he was a Deist, he wouldn't have expressed his firm belief that God is active in the "ticking" of the world.

Why do you think Paine made religious references that refute his personal beliefs? Do you even think that these statements are contradictory to his beliefs?

2 comments:

Grace said...

So, my computer is not allowing me to post an original post for today's class activities summary, so I will just have to leave a comment on this one. OY! Period one was full of excitement today for one reason: GRADES. For me that meant praying my grade did not magically become a negative score. However, grades do seem to be exciting for some and hey, whatever floats your boat. So Mr. Laz returned our lovely vocabulary tests, those superfun Puritan tests and then our 2nd MP grades. Oh and I clapped just a little too loudly when Mr. Laz announced that the Puritan test had been too long and then hid under my desk when nobody joined in. I suppose we can take this as a good sign that all of your decision making skills are much more advanced than mine. I will take this opportunity to apologize- my emotions got the better of me =]. As for the 2nd MP grades, class average: 86.Idon'tremember%!!! But don't try TOO hard next time, because according to Mr. Laz, if the class average becomes an "A", he's not doing his job (a subject up for debate...). We tried to discuss Thomas Paine, until I dragged us backwards to Jefferson with yet ANOTHER application for musical theater in the classroom. Who knew there were so many? However, for tomorrow, be prepared to discuss Mr. Paine in much further depth, as is our custom. For those of you who weren't here (I think just Ashley?) you definitely missed another heated argument between Ben and Mr. Laz about...I don't remember. Oh well. Chances are Ben will make someone else angry tomorrow and you won't have missed a thing =]. LE FIN.

Ian B said...

GRACE! I love your heart, child.

On another note, as we discussed in class, the Deist mentality of Paine was such that he believed that God had structured the universe and its events so that the Americans would have God on their side. So, in this way, it isn't surprising that he said something on that topic.