Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Proper Flag Etiquette

For the past two days in class, we have been discussing the American flag and its symbolism. Today we discussed the piece of art "What is the Proper Way to Display a U.S. Flag?" by Scott Tyler in which he laid an American flag on the ground and placed a book on a podium over it, inviting people to step on the flag.

While we discussed how we felt about possibly stepping on the American flag and whether we thought it was right or wrong, we only mentioned the American flag. How would you feel if it were a flag from another country? The American flag symbolizes so many things to each of us, but what about the flags of other countries?

I feel that even as much as I disagree with the idolatry of flags, particularly the American flag, I would feel extremely uncomfortable "disrespecting" the flag of another country. Because that flag symbolizes something extremely foreign to me, I feel as though I have no right to mistreat it because I don't understand what it symbolizes.

Also, what do you feel is treating a flag disrespectfully? Today in class Donna mentioned printing representations of flags on items such as clothing and towels. Don't you think it is more disrespectful to put pictures of American flags on underwear and bikinis than if a child drew the American flag on chalk in the street?

4 comments:

Donna said...

I agree with what you are saying in this post. We seemed to focus mostly on American's walking on an American flag, but what if it was a foreigner? Would we feel hostile towards them or stereotype all people of that nationalality as 'anti-American'. I don't think I would walk on another country's flag, because I would feel as though I was over stepping my boundaries.

And I also agree with the mention of reprinting the American flag on different items. I've seen American flag toilet paper. Doesn't wiping your butt with an image of the American flag sound more disrespectful than drawing it on the street?

Personally...I think wiping your butt with the American flag is more disrespectful than burning it.

Deirdre said...

I also think, from our discussion today, that part of the reason people have such a difficult time separating the American flag (the symbol) from America is that our entire national anthem is about our flag. It's not about how great we think America is or about how much we love our country, it's a poem describing our flag waiving in the air. I think this definately adds to the idea that the American hsould be respected like it is our country.

L Lazarow said...

Hey, it's Erin.

What Deirdre said about the kids getting in trouble for drawing a flag on the street reminded me (and I hope I'm remembering right) that after September 11, didn't someone paint the American flag on their roof? Of course, that was viewed as patriotic, but what I'm wondering is, how is that different than drawing it in chalk on the street? Wouldn't it be more "touching" if these little kids are drawing an American flag, or is the fact that it's on the street and people, dogs, and cars will walk over it?

I forget who said this but someone said that there was a double standard about the flag and I agree. I think part of the reason that there is is because people are sort of conflicted over what it means. We don't really think about what the flag should mean and it means different things to different people because it is a symbol and essentially can be whatever you want it to be. I suppose what makes something "acceptable" (such as a flag painted on a roof or on a towel) or "unacceptable" (such as a flag drawn on the street or lying on the floor) is up to the people present. I suppose they look at the context (and of course their feelings enter in their judgement) and decide.

Thinking about the Scott Tyler exhibit, I probably wouldn't step on the flag, not because I'd feel I were committing some horrible crime, but because I guess I'd feel wrong if by doing that I really upset someone. And I definitely would not step on the flag of another country. I guess for me it would be like stepping on someone else's property.

Deirdre said...

I saw a news story about a man who travels around the contry to paint American flag's on the roofs of buildings. I think that the problem with the kids drawing the flag in the street was that some people were offended they had to drive or walk over the flag, which doesn't make any sense to me because it is just a symbol of the symbol for America.