Monday, June 9, 2008

It's Paige again

I just wanted to discuss some things about The Woman Warrior. As I read I feel more an more almost smothered by Kingston. As if the struggle of her and the various woman in the chapters is practically leaping out of the book. Her tone seem almost strained as if she was fighting to get the story across. I did some research on the book and I found some interesting things about her struggle with words. Fu Mu Lan the famous woman warrior that Kingston compares herself to seems goes along with this struggle of words. Mu Lan has the problems she is faced with tatooed on her back while Kingston cannot face the words of others such as her racist coeworkers. I felt that she was envious of Mu Lan who wasn't bound down by the hardships of womanhood that seem to be holding Kingston.
I felt that her struggle was also shown through "No Name Woman." She let a loop hole of information given to her by her mother turn into a feeding frenzy for her own imagination. I felt as though Kingston was craving some sort of way to explore unknowns in her life through her deceased aunt by allowing her thoughts to run wild rather than be bound by the pressures of her life.
Anyway these are just some thoughts I had while reading. What do you guys think about it so far?

2 comments:

Deirdre said...

I also felt that her speech seemed a little strained, but once I got passed that I became really interested in her stories. I thin it's really interesting and even inspirational the way she represents the women in her book. I love that through her art she was able to give life to the "No Name Woman" whom her entire family had ignored.

These stories show the deep connection between her Chinese heritage and American life, and the difficulties she faces to connect the two. I was, although a little surprised by the way in which she described the misogynistic side of the Chinese culture. However, she writes of heroic Chinese women, and in a way liberates herself and the women of China who had traditionally been suppressed.

L Lazarow said...

Hey it's Cristy,

I also was really intrigued by how the author felt she was giving life back,in a way, to the ghost aunt, who is being punished past death. I mean especially because the only reason her mother even mentions her name, is to insult her as a disgrace. They go on to describe the ragged existence of the aunt's soul that will never be at rest as the family continues

Has anyone read the Good Earth? or any other Pearl S. Buck books? She writes about chinese life and her stories are full of chinese customs. In the Good Earth, the main character is a man but he still doesn't meet his wife until their wedding day. He just goes to a lord's house, pays for her, and leaves. I really recommend any of her books (especially Good Earth) for anyone interested in the Chinese culture and plus Buck's writing is phenomenal. (at least i think so)His wife is portrayed as incredibly loyal and hardworking even when the man takes a "mistress" and invites her to live in their house and basically gives her all the luxury while the wife dutifully works the land and never complains.

But back to our book. One of the things I found most interesting in the way the author wrote was her changing point of views of the events. It seemed that at first she portrayed the aunt as someone who had a love affair, but then it abruptly changes to a woman who was a rape victim. (Did i read that correctly? did anyone get that sense?) I think this works so well, because she can only really speculate about this woman whose life has all but been erased from memory. Well, looking forward to discussing it soon with all of you in class! bye