Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Enjoyment of All Movies Has Officially Been Ruined...

Hey guys, it's Allison.

After today's discussion of archetypes, I knew that I'd see movies and stories differently, but I didn't actually think that my experiences with them would be ruined. Today, when I was babysitting, the kids and I were watching Shrek 3. About a month or so ago, this was one of my all-time favorite cartoons. I loved the witty humor and how all the characters always lived happily ever after. However, all of that changed after today's discussion. The movie began with Shrek (who acted as the threshold character) going to a school far from Fiona's kingdom to retrieve a boy who had been outcast by his peers. Shrek proceeded to bring him back to Far-Far Away to be king. I couldn't believe that even children's movies were chock-full of archetypes. It was at this point that I had to stop watching the movie and go color; I couldn't make myself watch and see what other archetypes were thrown into the movie as well.

I think I will never enjoy a movie or fictional novel ever again.
Does anyone else have any other horror stories to tell?

3 comments:

L Lazarow said...

Hey guys, it's Jasmine.

We actually just finished watching Shrek in health class today. Shrek is, of course, the unwanted ogre who is criticized for merely existing in the world. Because nobody even tries to befriend him, Shrek lives his days alone, friendless and bitter. Of course, his outsider status is part of what makes a mythic hero. He has no ties, since he isn't a part of society, so he is free to go on the journey to save Fiona. I'm not exactly sure what Shrek's weakness is. Perhaps it's his refusal to get too close to others, in fear that they'll reject him for being a "stupid, ugly ogre," or his stubborness. What do you guys think?

The movie wasn't ruined YET for me, though, since we still have a couple more components of the "mythic hero" that we'll learn about in class. After tomorrow, who knows? I hope I can keep watching movies without going archetype-crazy!

Ian B said...

While I do agree with your comments, somehow I think the "Shrek" trilogy makes a mockery of the hero archetype. Like all hero movies, the protagonist must rescue the beautiful princess from some far off land. In this case, however, the place is actually called "Far, far away" (I think...) and the companion is slightly dim-witted. But where is the guide? And how is Shrek wiser at the end? He still is not accepted by the community (at least for the first movie, I don't count the rest). And what is the journey that Shrek must go on? He simply plans to go to the king to tell him to remove the mythical creatures from his land. Doesn't it seem like this movie is playing off all of the "hero" clichés of other movies?

L Lazarow said...

Hey, it's Erin.

I agree with Ian. I think that Shrek was meant to be a sort of "anti-fairy tale," which like Ian said makes a mockery of the set pattern they usually follow. The movie has tons of the different elements of fairy tales, but turns everything on its head.